General information on social security in Austria:
As soon as you are employed in Austria you get a social security card called eCard. With this card you can choose a doctor who has a contract with ÖGK (Österreichische Gesundheitskasse).
Every visit to the doctor/outpatient clinic and a stay in various hospitals begins with the insertion of the e-card. It is most desirable to always have the card with you! The e-card can be used by any contracted doctor (dentist, specialist, or general practitioner) and any contracted institution. During a vacation in Austria
and the EU, let the doctor in charge know that you are vacationing.

COVID-19 information: If you have any kind of Covid-19 symptoms you should call 1450. The helpline employees ask for your symptoms and send staff with a PCR test kit or you schedule an appointment at a Gurgelbox.
You can also call 1450 for general information about the right point of contact in the health system and specific recommendations from qualified health and nurses around the clock, seven days a week.

Health care:
When you need to go for a health check, choose a family doctor (Praktischer Arzt) next to your home address. Be careful when choosing as some doctors can be private, so better to confirm on phone before registering. If you need a specialist, you will be given a doctor’s referral.

You can search on for a doctor near your place. For example:

Filter: ÖGK to find a doctor who has a contract with the social insurance ÖGK:

Ein Bild, das Text enthält.

Automatisch generierte Beschreibung

Health problems:
If you get sick and you need a drug or a sick leave confirmation for the company (after 2 days of sickness) call your family doctor to make an appointment.
If you get sick at night (7 p.m. and 7 a.m.), on vacation or on the weekend and need a doctor, call the emergency doctor service. Just dial 141 on your phone! You need your SSNR, your home address and tell exactly which health issue you have. They decide if they send a doctor or the ambulance.

Severe health problems:
If you have serious health problems (heart attack, severe dizziness, ...) you should dial 144 immediately. The hotline sends an ambulance and, in case, an emergency doctor.

Covid tests:
With the eCard you can either do a free antigen test in pharmacies without symptoms or in a "snuff box" if you have symptoms. If you need a PCR-test, there are several locations where you can make an appointment.

Long covid:
As you have heard, there are cases that take a very long recovery period. In this case, speak to your doctor. If necessary, he can send you a referral for rehabilitation in Vienna.